Welcome to the second edition if my new weekly entry ‘’this week in WWE’’. I hope you enjoyed last weeks entry as I hope you will enjoy this week’s one and give me your thoughts. Simply there is only so many hours in the week so I can only get to watch mainly WWE and ROH unfortunately not TNA. I gave TNA a try a few times but I just can’t watch it. So that’s why I only write about WWE and ROH mainly. Remember, this is a positive outlook on the week in WWE so there won’t be much criticism (aside from one or two of the releases) so lets begin.
As you know (more than likely) WWE did their annual clear out. Gael Kim quit, Kozlov, Melina, Chris Masters and DH Smith all got released. So, here’s what happened and some thoughts on the ”Clear out”.
As we know, Melina is in a relationship with John Morrison. John Morrison commented on her release via twitter and had this to say:
I’ve always believed that Melina is the most talented Diva ever employed by World Wrestling Entertainment. (not to mention the hottest!) Her face conveys emotion. Vince McMahon likes to say ‘Television is a feeling’ and I agree with him. That’s what Sports Entertainment is all about. Melina’s presence on Television, aside from the obvious (she be sexy!) is raw emotion- joy, rage, surprise, disgust… her passion just pours out of her.
Melina’s presence on Monday Night Raw will be missed by the WWE universe… and especially by me.
I think this is the end of a chapter in the book of @RealMelina – I met Melina on my audition for Tough Enough 3, I never forgot the smile, and hug she gave me when I made the show and she got cut and told to go home. I’ve stood next to her with Joey while MNM was yelled at; told we’d never make it, we were worthless. I’ve seen her come back from 2 career threatening injuries. She is one of a kind, and talented enough to do whatever she wants. I’m proud to be her man. I love her, and will support whatever she chooses to do next.
Sadly, Melina was a great talent but she was barely used in the last couple months. So therefore i was not surprised that she got released. Melina was more of a sex appeal for viewers, and as WWE was PG, there seemed to be no real role for her. It’s sad because she had a decent run with WWE. Oh well, she’ll go to TNA probably.
I thought Kozlov was a great scary heel when he first came to WWE in 2008. Kozlov was on a good run dominating opponents or what not. But, since his heel character wore off, he’s been apart of a comedy act with Santino Marella. I hated him doing this because he was a good wrestler and could have good matches with Mark Henry, Kane and Big Show. He was never the greatest but he was good to put someone against him to just fill the card. Overall he wasn’t being used either so not surprised he got released, another good talent WWE wasted.
Now i wasn’t too upset with this to be honest. The guy is only 25, whats to say he could come up with a good storyline some day and he’ll pitch the idea to Vince or Triple H and he’ll be rehired? To set the record straight, i’m not happy he is gone from WWE, i’m just pointing out that he is young and could be back someday.
Gail Kim quit, she didn’t get fired or released. Her last appearance was at the diva’s Battle royal on raw where she eliminated herself. I think it’s safe the say in 86 days time when her no compete clause is up we’ll see her in the knockouts division. It’s sad that she left but to be honest she did the right thing, she has a few months off and she’ll more than likely going to compete in a better women s division in TNA.
This is the one that upset me the most. I loved Chris Masters and was very annoyed that he got released with the likes of Santino and Hornswoggle still with WWE. This is a crime, he has not had, has so much talent. If you do what he says and look at his last few matches, they’ve been the best of his career. He was unlucky to be at the wrong end of things while with WWE. I doubt it, but would love to see him back in WWE again.
Over the next few days maybe weeks, i’m sure there will be more superstars future endeavored. I’m guessing the likes of JTG, Santino, Reks will be released, why? ‘Cause they are not being used, if there not being used there is no reason for them to be there. There is great talent there but that’s the business so to speak.
Top 3 Raw Moments
1) – Opening Promo. Well it’s pretty obvious this would be number 1. It was a great promo from both Punk and Triple H. Punk firstly came out and said ”the Champ is here,” to a mixed crowd reaction. Punk again explains why he returned to WWE mentioning that he spoke his mind and changed happened in WWE with Vince relieved of his duties and you can feel the change in the air. He said he is here to make Wrestling fun again. Then he points out a fan in the audience sitting at ringside with a replica belt, Punk says what you have is a replica belt, what i have is a Championship title. But what my favorite part of the whole show was, was this point “I hold, in my hands, the most important title in the world.” he then says he is the best professional wrestler in the world. Then says ”i am the one, only WWE Champion”. So that first opening minutes of the show was my favorite.
2) – R-Truth & The Miz vs. John Morrison & Rey Mysterio was second favorite part of the show. It was unfortunate that their was a commercial break in between but it was still a good tag team match. Now i don’t like how these tag teams are just thrown together but none the less; it was still good. Now, i’m guessing this is leading towards a match at Summerslam but we’ll have to wait and see.
3) – The Announcement/Decision closing the show. I’m really enjoying Triple H’s role as the COO. When he announced he’ll make his decision regarding the WWE title at the end of the show, i didn’t quite know what to expect. To be honest, it was a little disappointing when he said it would just be a match, like that’s what was always going to happen one way or another. It wasn’t overly disappointing but still a little as i did what i should never do as a wrestling fan; hype myself up too much. Regardless it was my third favorite part of the show.
Top 3 Smackdown Moments
1) – Sheamus’s Face Turn. I cannot get enough of this. As being a wrestling fan n Ireland, i look up to Sheamus and he is loved here in Ireland. There is not much about WWE in our newspapers, but Sheamus often comes up in the paper so i am proud of Sheamus and what he has accomplished. And to see him playing a new role, for me anyway its just fantastic and for him to play a babyface role so well is incredibly great. So i’m enjoying this Role and looking forward each week to see more and more of it.
2) – Daniel Bryan vs Tyson Kidd. This was a pyre out and out great wrestling match. Bryan seems to have a bright future ahead of him with WWE, and from that class display of wrestling, i hope Tyson kidd does too. This feud between Barrett and Bryan is getting interesting to say the least, bring on next week to see what happens next!
3) – David Otunga, Michael McGillicutty and JTG beat Trent Barreta and The Usos. The tag team division seems to be getting better each week. Another great match with the Uso’s. It’s good to see that WWE are building Otunga and Michael up as tag team champions, so its getting interesting.
That’s all for this week, it’s been a relatively good week in WWE. It has been a little boring compared to other weeks but Summerslam is coming up so the next Raw and Smackdown should be hyped up building up to Summerslam. I’m looking forward to Summerslam and we here at wrestlingrambles.com will be doing predictions and we’ll have a couple of Summerslam columns coming up and perhaps we’ll have a special podcast for the PPV. We’ll soon be interviewing some wrestlers hopefully so make sure to check back to the site. If you would like to give me your thoughts on my column please do. Thanks for reading!